29 May 2012

23 May 2012 (Wednesday)

As Spring Quarter goes on less students have been showing up for the weekly discussions.  I don't mind: I'd be happy to even sit and chat with one student.  But where there were consistently 10 - 12 students at the beginning of the quarter, the last couple of weeks it has dwindled to about 4.  Perhaps students have mid-terms and finals?  I think it is more likely to do with the fact that the weather has improved.
This week only two students showed up at first.  We talked in the regular room for about 30 minutes then I suggested that we three go to a nearby cafe, Cafe Solstice (info).  As soon as we arrived at the cafe I got a call on my mobile: 3 other students had shown up at the regular room and wondered where we were.  They joined us at Cafe Solstice.

Before I get into the diary of what we talked about this week a note about class meetings over the break between quarters:
  • We will meet this Wednesday, 30 May.
  • We will *not* meet for the two weeks after (6 & 13 June).
  • The next class after this week will be 20 June.
Of course, during the break between quarters my students are welcome to ask me about music or cultural things happening in Seattle. Indeed, I might even organize going to a concert or something.

Like last week, this week we again didn't talk a lot about music, rather just general conversation.  

I had read an article about a Korean app that is like Facebook but just for couples called "Between" (article about the app).  I asked my students if they knew about this app but they said they had never heard of it.  Maybe it's not as popular in Korea as the article made it sound...

We looked through the concert and cultural listings in The Stranger newspaper (website).  I think this (free!) weekly newspaper is a good chance for students to learn about culture in Seattle.  The newspaper has articles and advertisements for food, music, film and theater.  Personally I don't often agree with the opinions written in The Stranger, but I find the newspaper useful to see what cultural events are going on in the city.

One student asked me where there is a pub in Seattle that has ping-pong.  We googled it and found out there is a place near the University District, Teddy's Tavern (info), at 65th & Roosevelt.  I had never thought of ping-pong and beer together, but later I saw an advertisement in The Stranger for another bar with ping-pong (sorry, I forgot which bar it is...)

As I did a Google search for bars with ping pong in Seattle I came across a result for The Eastlake Zoo bar (info). The Zoo (as it is called for short) is a classic Seattle "dive bar".  "Dive bars" are the pubs/bars where the drinks are cheap and the overall feeling of the bar is kind of dirty.  Dive bars are *not* where yuppies (definition) hang out drinking wine, rather it is where people go and drink beer. And more beer. And more beer. There are often drunk people at dive bars. Don't worry, dive bars aren't dangerous and in fact they are pretty fun.

One of Seattle best (and oldest) dive bars is right in the University District on 45th: The Blue Moon Tavern (info). When I was a UW student I spent many nights at the Blue Moon (in large part because I worked at a record store across the street)!  But sorry, no ping-pong there.



We didn't *only* talk about dive bars and ping-pong. The upcoming weekend was a 3-day weekend for the national Memorial Day holiday (info) which means that at the Seattle Center the Folklife Festival (info) was taking place.  There is lots of local music and art and I encouraged students to stop by and see this (free) festival at some point of the weekend. Here's a review of the festival. I am curious to learn at the next class how many people visited Folklife.

Speaking of music festivals: Every year on Memorial Day weekend one of the best music festivals in the United States takes place about 2 hours away from Seattle.  The festival is called "Sasquatch" and it is on the East side of the Cascade mountains so it is usually hot and sunny there even if it is cloudy in Seattle.  And the festival takes place in a beautiful setting -- one that is often voted the most beautiful place to see a concert in the whole country! Here's a review of this year's festival with a picture of what it looks like there

Speaking more of music festivals, in July (20-22nd) there is a festival of independent music in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.  It's called "The Capitol Hill Block Party" (info).

Speaking some more of festivals, every year on the Labor Day 3-day weekend at the end of summer (this year 1-3 September) another of the best music and arts festivals in the country takes place directly in city at the Seattle Center: Bumbershoot! Here's a list of the music/bands that are scheduled to play so far (more will be added in the coming months). I usually go to Bumbershoot all three days.

There is an event this coming week (Friday, 1 June) which I think is a really unique and cool thing to do: The Seattle Art Museum Remix Party (info). The description on the website does not fully describe what a feast for the senses these parties are.  I highly recommend going (best is to go with some friends)!!  It's $20 for students but totally worth the money!

Looking ahead, I know that some of my students love watching soccer and the Euro 2012 championships begin Friday, 8 June (schedule; games begin at 9am and 11:45am Seattle time).  Here my recommendation for places to watch the games:  
So you see, not a lot of talk about music this week, but a lot of culture/music information in this week's blog!

No comments: