21 May 2012

16 May 2012 (Wednesday)

Today was a small group: only 4 students. Maybe it's because the weather outside was so nice and most people wanted to hang out outside?

But in this small group we talked a lot.  Well, *I* talked a lot -- the students were asking me some things about places I have lived and where I have traveled and our "conversation class" became more of a "question and answer class" this week.  I didn't mind telling my stories. But we really didn't talk about music this week at all!

Somewhere at the beginning of class I mentioned that the Burke Gilman Trail, (map, info) which passes through the University of Washington, was previously a railroad track.  When the railroad track wasn't needed anymore they paved over it and made it a trail.  Because the trail is flat for so many miles it is a very popular route for joggers and bikers.  

We talked about which classes were the favorite (most fun) courses of the students at university.

They asked me where, of all the place I have lived was my favorite place.  The answer, for a number of reasons is Prague (info).

I told the story of traveling to Mount Roraima (info) in Venezuela.  That was a fascinating trip for me and I put my diary of the trip online to share with friends. (By the way, the landscape of Mount Roraima is the inspiration for the landscape in the animated film "Up"!)

We talked about traveling alone versus traveling with friends or a boyfriend/girlfriend. 

One student said she wants to travel to Peru (info).  I said that if she goes to Peru she *must* visit Machu Picchu (info), which I have heard is one of the most amazing places on Earth.


Though my entry for this week is a short, we actually talked for a long time, it's just that it wasn't about music and I don't have any links to put up.  But it was a fun change of pace.


No comments: