26 January 2008

24 January 2008

Another great turnout -- 12 students -- and a very fun class today!

I had sent an email to the group asking them to think of songs about winter or songs which fit a "winter mood," but I sent the email shortly before the class and many of the students didn't see it and therefore did not have any "winter" songs in mind.

One student did suggest "Christmas Is All Around" (video, lyrics) from the movie "Love, Actually" (movie info). I explained the word "satire" (definition). I also stated that I do not like Hugh Grant (bio): to me he is cheesy. (I wonder if that helps my students understand the word "cheesy" better?...)



Another winter song suggested was "Last Christmas" (video, lyrics) by Wham (bio). Some people groaned about another "old" song and I was eager to move away from Christmas songs anyway, so I asked if the class is familiar with Wham's lead singer, George Michael (bio). There were some nods.


I decided to play a solo George Michael song, "As" (video, lyrics). It's a duet with Mary J Blige (bio) and the song is actually originally sung by Stevie Wonder (bio). I think George and Mary did a very good job on the song and I like the video; it's a great effect how the two of them "fill" up the whole club. Nonetheless, the Stevie Wonder version of the song is the definitive version!

By the way, an interesting note about this song: "As" is included in George Michael's best of record in every country *except* the US. Apparently it was not released in the US because Mary's record label felt she was a big star and didn't want her to be associated with George Michael, who had just been involved in a sex scandal. Nonetheless the video was played a lot on MTV US, even though the song was not available in this country.


Out of the blue Marianna asked if I am familiar with the band Cheap Trick (bio). Of course I am -- that's a classic American band! I played "Surrender" (video, lyrics) and explained how this is a quintessential (definition) American band: they are really only popular in the States and Japan. Indeed, it is in Japan where they got their big break and they become superstars in 1978.



Next up was "Ohne Dich" (video, lyrics) by Rammstein (bio). I asked the class if they like the sound of the German singing. They didn't. One student said she thinks German isn't even pretty to say "I love you" in ("Ich liebe Dich").


I asked each person in the class to say "I love you" in their local language. It was very interesting to see their reactions! Many were embarrassed to even speak the three words, even if it wasn't directed at any particular person.

Someone said that German isn't the ugliest language -- she claims it is Dutch. I have to agree! To show the other students what Dutch language sounds like I typed "Dutch interview" in YouTube and showed them the first clip I could find. I don't know if the class actually heard what the Dutch language was like -- they were trying to figure out what was happening on the screen!


Back to German language: Pinar said she like German singing -- in opera! So to offset the gutteral singing from Rammstein we played Hölle Rache from Mozart's Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute) (video). Perhaps less gutteral, but intense nonetheless! We need to find some soft, fun German songs...




A student wanted to hear "Dream Come True" (video, lyrics) by The Brand New Heavies (bio). I asked why he chose this song and he said he likes dance music.







I mentioned I was going to a concert by a Malian artist this evening, Toumani Diabate (bio) and played a clip. The class seemed to think I was about to waste my time and money going to that concert, but it was actually an *excellent* show!






"Love of my life" (video, lyrics), a very sweet song by Queen (bio) was chosen.










Next choice was Marilyn Manson (bio) "If I Was Your Vampire" (fan-made video, lyrics).



But before I played the song I did a grammar lesson about correct usage of the conditional. The sentence "If I was your vampire" is totally incorrect. It either has to be:



[present tense] "If I were your vampire."

or

[past tense] "If I had been your vampire."


But I also mentioned that most Americans don't use the conditional correctly and that most people would say this sentence in the incorrect way, like the title of the song is.

I asked why the student likes Marilyn Manson and she said it is because she likes the gothic subculture.

I said that I think Marilyn Manson is a good actor. Every generation has a "bogeyman" (definition). In the 70's Alice Cooper (bio) was the guy all parents feared. In the 00's one of the bands has been Slipknot (bio). Heck, parents even feared the Beatles back in the 60's. There's always someone out there who is scaring parents, which pleases kids to no end!


The next student chose "Cinema Paradiso" (video, lyrics) by Josh Groban (bio). The student who requested this song has all of his albums. She said she likes how he "sings from the heart." I explained there is also a term to "speak from the heart" which means to be totally honest.


She then said she thinks I look like him(!). After class another student said I look like Pato from AC Milan. I'd like to play like him, but do I look like him? The one I hear most is that I look like Colin Firth.


On the Cinema Paradiso theme, Pinar said she likes the version of that song played by Itzhak Perlman (bio). The only audio version we could find on YouTube was someone's video of a sunset with the song as the soundtrack. What a silly thing -- and we watched it!


A student wanted to search for his favorite song. I said "Go for it", then explained to the class that this phrase means "go ahead."



The student chose "Traveling Boy" (fan-made video, lyrics) by Art Garfunkel (bio). I asked why he chose this song and he said "I understand the lyrics" but I realized what he wanted to say is "I relate to these lyrics." That's a good phrase to learn.

We ended the class with a couple more phrases:

* "Knock it off" (which means "stop").

* One student asked if I dance or sing. I said, "I am chicken" which means "I am afraid" or "I am embarrassed." I said that I sing in my car and dance at home, but don't do either in public.

But if I *were* to sing or dance in public, I would do so to this song: "Use Me" (video, lyrics) by Bill Withers (bio). The songs has such great rhythm, a great riff and great lyrics.
-- I actually *do* have a dream of playing in public: I would like to busk on the Charles Bridge in Prague. I have the songs all picked out that I would play: now i just need to learn how to play guitar and to sing ;-) .


It was now 6.15pm and I said "Shall we call it a night?," a phrase which required more explanation (it means "Shall we say we are done for the day?").





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, some recommedations for german songs.

Fun Song : everything from "Sportfreunde Stiller"
Winter songs (to have a relationship to the working title of the class) : the Band "Element of Crime" or "Kettcar".
Punk Songs : "Toten Hosen"

Maybe some of your students will like them .....


greetings from D.

MariannaE said...

yeah,I/we learned a lot=)Thanx