06 January 2015

3 December 2014 (Wednesday)


This was the last class of Winter Quarter. 5 students came to share songs.


One of the students is learning piano and I saw him playing on the public piano in the HUB before class. I asked what he was playing. It was "Je te veux" (video) by Erik Satie (info).

This was the first class after Thanksgiving so I asked the class what they had done for the holiday. One student had gone and sang karaoke. He sang "Friday I'm In Love" (video, lyrics, song info) by The Cure (info).

I played a little bit of "Easy Money" (video, lyrics, song info) by Johnny Marr (info), because I was going to his concert the next Monday (but the concert got cancelled :-(( ). 


One student said he will go see the big annual holiday indie concert "Deck The Hall Ball" (info). The band he is most excited to hear at the concert is Royal Blood (info) "Figure It Out" (video, lyrics, song info).


The next song was "Somerset" (video, song info) by Baths (info). The student who chose it had only heard it 1 week ago.



I mentioned that the band Mogwai (info) does similar kinds of music. Mogwai has many albums but the one I always relate to them -- even if it's not my favorite music by them -- is the soundtrack they did to a film which was one soccer game where the camera's just followed French great Zinadine Zidane the whole game. Very cool concept! As a sample of Mogwai's music, here is "Take Me Somewhere Nice" (video, lyrics, song info).

Next we had a big surprise: one of our students, Dorian from Mexico City, played a song he recorded! It is called "Ritual de Amor" (At the moment I am not sure if I found the right link and I don't want to risk posting the wrong song -- send me the link, Dorian!). We were all impressed by his talent and his motivation to not only write the song, but to record it and put it online!


The last song we listened to before Winter break was "Needing/Getting" (video, lyrics, song info) by OK Go (info).


With that we ended Fall Quarter. Class will continue in January!

No comments: