11 November 2014

5 November 2014 (Wednesday)

Today 7 students came to share their favorite songs about "home".

Two students in the class had gone to concerts in the past week: One to The Black Keys (info, concert review) and the other to Slowdive (info). 

I have heard of the band Slowdive, but I don't know their music. So I asked him what his favorite Slowdive song is. He said it is "Alison" (video, lyrics, song info). He said the concert was great and fulfilled all his expectations.

Next one student wanted to play a song she didn't get to share for "Halloween songs" last week: "Kyoushinshou" (video, lyrics, song info) by Radwimps (info). It is indeed a good video for Halloween. I like the guitar in the song. And the student who picked it also pointed out how great the lyrics are, too.


The next song was "Write Your Story" (video with lyrics, song info) by Francesca Battistelli (info). The student who picked it said she had heard it on the way to class and liked it. When I look at the lyrics it looks like it is a love song to God.


I like the idea of "writing your story on my heart" and it made me think of a song I loved in the 80's: "Sign Your Name" (video, lyrics, song info) by Terence Trent D'Arby (info).
The next song was actually the first one along the day's theme ("songs about home")! It was "Ashitaka sekki" (video, song info) by Joe Hishisami (info) from the anime Princess Mononoke (info). The student who chose it said that the film takes place in a place that is like his hometown. I have to say that I really liked this piece! So beautifully melancholic!


The next song was "Aqui No Es Asi" (video, lyrics, song info) by Caifanes (info). The band is from Mexico City, where the student is from. The song is about Aztec culture versus the Spaniards who came there.
The next song chosen was "Lanzhou Lanzhou" (video) by Mogo Music. This song is by a band from the student's hometown, Lanzhou (info),  and the lyrics describe the things that people in that town see every day. This is really a "hometown" song!! 

The next song was "Poison" (video, lyrics) by the Thai indie band Bodyslam (info). The student who chose this song doesn't actually like the band that much, but she thought the class would be interested in knowing what a popular Thai band is like.

With that our time for the week was over. I forgot to show the students a "hometown" video about Seattle, so here's a bonus in the blog: "The Bluest Skies You've Ever Seen Are In Seattle" (video with lyrics in the notes).

For the next week I have a funny theme: I am thinking of putting together a playlist of songs for a friend's birthday party so the theme for this week's class is "Songs For A Birthday Party" so I can get some additional ideas. Of course, any song the students want to share with the class will be fine.

No comments: