23 August 2012

Economist article about K-Pop



One of my favorite things about hosting the Language Of Music class is hearing music and about bands/performers that I would never have heard of otherwise.  Until I started this class I was blissfully unaware of K-Pop and now I realize what a big thing it is across Asia!  For example, my class played me "Gangnam Style" (video) before the Western press suddenly filled with articles about the song.

Even this week's Economist magazine refers to Psy ("Gangnam Style" performer) and then goes on to talk about the music industry in Korea (article).  Very interesting to learn how the music industry works in Korea, from how much consumers pay to how performers make money.

PS. Why has my class never shown me a Super Junior video? You guys are slacking off in keeping me current with the K-Pop trends!

No comments: