07 March 2012

29 February 2012 (Wednesday)

I had warned the class by email that today I could only stay for one hour (most of our sessions have been going for about two hours!) due to another appointment.  Only 8 students showed up, plus Mene, the Nigerian student who was staying with me for a week while he participated in the Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition.

I started class by saying I would like to take the students to a music event outside of class.  Here are some events I suggest we can go to in the next few weeks:

10 or 11 March (Saturday or Sunday): Visit the EMP Museum to see the exhibition about Nirvana and the Seattle rock music scene. $17 with student ID.


20 March (Tuesday): Flamenco performance.  This is one of my favorite cultural events in Seattle. 8:30pm - 10:30pm. Cost is free, but you are expected to buy two drinks at about $5 each.  21+  The performance is at the Capitol Club on Capitol Hill (map), so we will have to coordinate rides there; I can take up to 4 people in my car with me.

24 March (Friday): Rock concert by band Nada Surf (website) at the Neptune Theater in the University District.  Nada Surf is independent rock music.  This is a good chance to see a typical American rock concert. Cost = $22.  All ages. 


Before we started listening to songs in class I asked if anyone had had any musical adventures in the past week.  One student had gone to see the performance of "Beauty and the Beast" (video, info) at the Paramount Theatre (info).  


Speaking of musicals, another student told us that she had seen the musical "Mama Mia" (info) in Taiwan one time (where she sat in the first row) and she  has seen the film twice.  She must really like that musical! I asked which is her favorite song from it, so we watched "Thank You For The Music" (video, lyrics, song info).

We didn't really have a theme of songs today, so the next song chosen was "K" (video) by Bump Of Chicken (info).  (That has to be the craziest name of a band I have ever heard!) 


After watching "K" we talked a little about which animals are good luck and which are bad luck in different cultures. I found out that in China a white dog is bad luck.  But in Korea a white dog is considered lucky!


The next song we listed to was "For You" (video) by Yim Jae Beom (info).



And with that, suddenly my time was up and I had to run to my next appointment! I was sad to have such a short session this week, but I hope plenty of students show up next week (7 March) with a lot of songs to play and talk about.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you guys go to the EMP? I had high hopes and was sadly disappointed. Its still cool and has some really neat items but I guess i had too high of expectations. I will be very interested to hear what your students think about the EMP.
Priya

stevez said...

None of the students could make my proposed EMP visit dates so we didn't go yet. Hopefully soon, after Spring Break. I went to the opening of the exhibition but was so busy talking to people that I didn't really digest the exhibition itself; that's why I want to see it again. My impression was that is was like a documentary of my late-teen/early-20's years: lots of record covers from the used record stores that I used to frequent. I am also curious to see what the students, who have no personal connection to that time, think.