20 March 2011

24 February 2011 (Thursday)

The weather today was very cold with the threat of snow.  Only four students showed up.

As we waited to see if more people would come we watched the video for the Beyonce (bio) song Halo (video, lyrics).  I explained what a halo is and how to pronounce the world.  I asked the student who chose the song why she likes it. She said she likes it because it's about love.

One of the students asked me to remind her where the dance lessons in the area are.  They are 1/2 block from where we do the conversation class, at the Century Ballroom (website, map)!  We looked at the schedule of dance classes offered and watched some videos of the types of dances: Lindy Hop, Samba

I then showed the salsa dancing part of the song Isla Margarita (video) by my friends Children Of The Revolution (website).

Now we moved from talking about dancing back to music. The song was Uncle Kracker (bio) "Oh You Make Me Smile" (video, lyrics, song info).  The video we watched for this song is not the official video, but the student it because she likes horses and the video is all about riding.

Somehow we got onto the subject of the Muslim tradition of the Hajj (info), but I can't remember anymore how we go onto that topic.  But I enjoy discussions about other cultures and traditions.

By now we had talked a lot in the class but hadn't watched very many videos.  The last video of the day was "Erdene" (video) by Bold, featuring Oyun.  The song means "I love you" in Mongolian.

No comments: